Sunday, March 15, 2009

Coming to the clinic at last

I have entered the land of the sensitive. The chemically super-sensitive. Ceramic-filter-masks over faces are a common sight.

I have met only a few other patients, so far. I have met a woman from Canada, and a woman from Italy.

One nurse told me that many Italians come here. Are there a lot of toxic exposures on the Meditteranean or something?!

Another nurse told me that many people came here from New York City after 9/11. People who had breathed the dust and toxic chemicals in the air after the buildings collapsed. I had heard that many first-responders and New York city residents were using sauna therapy at clinics in New York city, for their toxic exposures and health effects; I didn't know that many New Yorkers had come out here to Dallas to this pre-eminent clinic.

Before coming here, I had read that the level of sensitivity to chemicals in the patients here varies from the super super sensitive to the less sensitive.

I had read that people will tell you if something about you is bothering them. Therefore, I was careful not to wear any makeup to the clinic, not wanting to bother anyone who might possibly be sensitive to a product I would be wearing.

This is my personal diary, a record of my trip and time at this environmental clinic.

This certainly may not be of interest to a wide audience -- I am writing it for my family and friends to follow me and for those who, like me, have been thinking of coming here for help, for many years.

I have been wanting to come for several years.

The impetus to finally come was that my health has deteriorated so much; also, my daughter was flying to Austin, Texas, and she offered to fly with me to Dallas, and help me get settled in. With her support, I made an instant decision to come.

The clinic is on one big floor of a medical building.

The environmentally non-toxic housing is at the back of a Marriott Residence Inn, a few miles from the clinic.

I had my first appointment with the eminent Dr. Rea on Friday morning.

Dr. Rea is a brilliant man. His conventional medicine credentials are impeccable.

My next post will be about his credentials.

No comments:

Post a Comment