Sunday, March 15, 2009

Rainbow

Words have rainbows of meanings.

I told my brother that I'm not having fun yet, at the clinic here. He left a message back about how fun shouldn't be the goal.

The lecture wasn't necessary. My brother missed my nuance totally; he didn't understand how I meant the word 'fun'.

I meant I'm not on a roll yet, I haven't discovered help for my health yet, I haven't had the breakthrus yet that I pray for here. I am not ecstatic here yet. All kinds of colors of meaning were shaded in but he didn't hear past the dictionary definition.

Empathy and understanding sometimes start with hearing the whole rainbow of meanings that radiate out from a word, instead of engaging in the literality too common in our culture.

hear the rainbow, brother! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment